You Need A Hatfield On Your Side!

The Decisive Legal Help You Need Following A Loved One’s Wrongful Death

The loss of a beloved family member is devastating. Discovering that negligent or reckless acts caused the loss is even more tragic. Even as families are dealing with overwhelming grief, some must also face the practical and financial realities of losing a household wage earner and primary provider.

If your once-certain future is now in question after losing a loved one to another’s negligent, reckless or intentional acts, you need and deserve the help of an attorney who will fight for you. In Kentucky, the firm to contact is The Law Office of Rhonda Hatfield-Jeffers, PLLC. I will take on all aspects of your wrongful death claim while you and other surviving family members deal with the personal fallout. My name is Rhonda Hatfield-Jeffers, and while you grieve, I will get to work to secure the justice you deserve. As a Hatfield, I do not back down from a fight, particularly if it involves a senseless death.

Let Me Do The Heavy Lifting After Any Wrongful Death Scenario

Wrongful death claims can stem from a wide variety of scenarios, including:

Some wrongful death cases are the results of criminal acts like drunk driving. But while criminal charges may be pursued in separate criminal prosecutions, wrongful death cases are civil lawsuits filed to hold the negligent party financially accountable for the harm that they caused the victims and their surviving family members.

Who Can Recover In A Kentucky Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

In Kentucky, KRS 411.130 governs wrongful death actions.  Pursuant to this statute, when a person dies due to the negligence or a wrongful act of another, the personal representative of the estate of the deceased may pursue an action and recover damages for the wrongful death of the person. A wrongful death suit may be made against the person at fault for your loved ones death and if the person responsible for the death of your loved one is negligent while working, then their employer may be liable for their negligent and reckless actions. Often a family member or close friend is appointed as the personal representative of the estate.

Attorney Rhonda Hatfield-Jeffers can assist you in being appointed as the personal representative of your loved one’s estate. Regardless of who serves as the plaintiff, any damages awarded in a wrongful death suit will be given to the victim’s surviving family members in hierarchical order. KRS 411.130 sets forth the order. If a victim was married without children, then their surviving spouse will receive the entire award or settlement. If there are surviving children but no surviving spouse, then the children will be awarded the full amount recovered. When there is both a surviving spouse and children, the spouse will receive half, while the other half will be divided among the children.

In cases where there is no surviving spouse or children, the victim’s surviving parents will be the beneficiaries. If there are no surviving parents, then the damages will be awarded to the victim’s estate and distributed accordingly.

Count On Comprehensive Legal Representation

Regardless of how your family member passed away, you can count on me to handle all legal aspects of your wrongful death claim. My legal team and I will attend to all the details and fight to maximize the compensation you and your loved ones are entitled to, leaving you free to focus on taking care of yourself and other family members.

Don’t Wait To Take Legal Action – Contact My Firm Today

As there are time restrictions for filing wrongful death actions, it is important to seek legal help as soon as reasonably possible. Therefore, it is important to seek legal help as soon as reasonably possible. I urge you to contact The Law Office of Rhonda Hatfield Jeffers and schedule a free initial consultation. I will take the time to hear your story and explain how I can help. To get started, call my Somerset office at 606-404-4529 or reach out online.