Even seemingly minor car accidents can result in devastating consequences that last a lifetime. Many accident victims file a personal injury claim against the negligent parties responsible for their accident in the hopes of recovering compensation for the injuries and damages they suffered in the accident.
In Kentucky, drivers can recover damages for accident-related injuries such as medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, mental anguish, disfigurement and impairment, and loss of consortium or companionship.
Evidence needed to prove the case
If you decide to proceed with a negligence claim against the other driver or drivers involved in your accident, you should be aware of the evidence you will need to prove your case. While every case is different, most accident claims involve:
- Police reports – The police officer at the scene will have filed a report detailing the accident. The report will include any citations given out, witness information, and general facts about what happened.
- State law – State traffic laws are critical to show that the other driver was negligent in failing to abide by the law.
- Witness statements/testimony – If anyone witnessed the accident, they may be called to the stand to testify as to what they saw.
- Expert testimony – Testimony from accident reconstructionists and medical professionals may be critical to prove that the accident and victim’s injuries were directly and proximately caused by someone’s negligence. Other experts may also be called in to value the damages suffered by the victim.
- Photos and videos of the scene – Photos and videos can help set the scene so that the jury and/or judge gets a better idea of skid marks on the roads, traffic light locations, and other pertinent information.
- Testimony from treating physicians and family – In cases involving serious injuries, the victim’s doctors, family, friends, and co-workers may be called to testify as to the severity of the victim’s injuries, treatments received, and the effects of the injuries on their everyday life.
A personal injury lawsuit
A successful personal injury lawsuit can give you and your family financial stability as you recover from your car accident. An attorney specializing in car accident claims can give you the best chance at recovering compensation. If you have been injured in an accident, it may be in your best interest to contact an attorney as soon as possible, so they can start contacting witnesses and gathering the evidence needed to support your case.