No matter how careful and safe a Somerset area driver is, accidents still occur. Most drivers will be in at least one car accident during their driving career. Luckily, most of these accidents are just minor fender benders. But thousands more are seriously injured or even killed in an accident. There are certain things a driver should do in the first ten hours after an accident to protect their best interests.
- Secure vehicle and remove valuables from the vehicle.
- Seek medical attention ASAP even if injuries seem minor.
- Record the weather at the time of the accident. Additional information including time, location, witness statements made, etc. should be included as well.
- File accident report with local law enforcement.
- Contact insurance agency with information regarding the accident.
- Revisit the accident scene and take photos of anything important. Also take photos of any injuries that happened because of the accident.
- Obtain the police report when it becomes available.
- Contact a personal injury attorney.
If a person has been injured in an accident due to no fault of their own it is important that they contact a personal injury attorney. An attorney understands the stress that their client is going through and the importance of focusing on their recovery. An attorney can help their client with their legal issues while their client can focus on getting better. They can visit the accident scene, interview witnesses and review the police report to help their client understand what happened and who is at fault. They can help their client obtain compensation for medical expenses, future medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and other damages.
A person who is injured in a car accident in Kentucky may have the legal right to hold the negligent driver accountable for their mistake. A personal injury attorney can be a good resource for an accident victim.